Add individual users
Step 1. Select New to open a blank screen in which to create a new user.
Step 2. Complete the New user screen.
This is basically the same as the User tab on the user maintenance form. Once you Save a new user, extra tabs appear to allow for maintenance of this user. The screen is divided into three sections:
- Username (mandatory): The name the user will use to log in to the application. This usually matches a user's Windows network login.
Display Name (mandatory): The name displayed on the User Menu.
- Email: The user's email address. A user needs a valid email address to be able to receive subscriptions. New users on the latest version of Phocas will be asked to enter an email address the first time they sign in, unless one has already been entered here.
The below fields are optional and are used to help manage and organize large sets of users:
- LDAP Authenticated? Indicates which authentication method has been used (only available on LDAP configured implementation). If checked, the user will be authenticated against the LDAP server, if unchecked, the user will be authenticated against Phocas. If the user is being added from a source other than Active Directory, an additional 'Password' field appears.
Windows or SQL user name: Only required for older desktop versions of Phocas.
- Phone, Mobile: Information fields.
- Group, Territory: Can be assigned by administrators with permission, as a way of grouping users to make bulk updates easier. The user view list in the administration module displays Group and Territory for users, and you can filter accordingly.
- When you add a new user, the Group and Territory fields will automatically be populated with your own group and territory and show as disabled, unless you have 'Users: All Users' selected in your profile - this would allow you to edit user groups and territories.
- If you have either 'Users: Users In Same Group' or 'Users: Users In Same Territory', but not 'Users: All Users', both group and territory will be disabled.
- Language: If language is left blank, the default system language will be used. Selecting a different language from the list will change all text in the product when the user next logs in; however, it does not change the names of Measures, Properties or Dimensions, as these are defined by the data in each database.
- Show splash screen: Controls whether a splash screen will be displayed when the user signs in.
- Administration: Allows the user to access the administration module. This should be assigned rarely and not for regular users.
- Detailed Logs: Controls whether all user activity is recorded. If enabled, every query is recorded along with export activity such as 'save to Excel'. The logs are viewable in the Usage page of the User maintenance form. Caution should be used when enabling this option as it can result in large quantities of data being collected, slowing the system down.
- Folders: Ticking any of the folders displayed in this list allows the user to access the favorites and dashboards in the ticked folder. The user's Profile settings control whether he or she can create or delete items.
- Integrations: Ticking any of the integration tasks displayed in this list allows the user to use that particular task, which will appear on their Export menu in the main analysis grid.
- Auto-generate password: If selected, this automatically creates a password that conforms to the site's password policy (as long as your site uses the default Phocas authentication). This is always used in conjunction with the 'email details to user' so that the user knows the automatic password. More about auto-generated passwords.
- Force password change: If selected, when the user first logs in, the system forces them to enter a new password.
- Email details to user: Sends the URL, username and password to the user in an email. This is only available if the SMTP details are configured and the user has an email address.
Select an existing user and use the Clone feature to create a new user with the same settings.
See Cloning users.
Import multiple users
The Import feature save time when adding multiple users. Administrators can import multiple new users in one of two ways, depending on your server configuration. Select More > Import as shown below.
- More > Import lets you create new users from a supplied text file or Windows Active Directory. You then use bulk update to refine permissions and settings.
Sites using Phocas (default) authentication
For sites that do not use LDAP user authentication, Import allows new users to be imported from a CSV text file (for example, based on an Excel spreadsheet). This file needs to be in a specific format in the order specified on the loading screen as part of the import process, as shown below.
View an example file. This file can be opened and edited in Microsoft Excel.
Once the CSV file has been uploaded, follow the same steps as described under Sites using LDAP authentication.
Sites using LDAP authentication
For sites using Set up LDAP user authentication, Import retrieves a list, as shown below, of all LDAP users who are not already in the Phocas user list.
- Select the required users and choose Next.
In the form that appears, set user properties such as permissions, folders and integrations and choose Next. Unless you have 'Users: All Users' selected in your profile, the Group and Territory fields will automatically be populated with your own group and territory and show as disabled. If you have either 'Users: Users In Same Group' or 'Users: Users In Same Territory', but not 'Users: All Users', both group and territory will be disabled.
Select a defined period next to the database or databases you want the new users to access and Save.